Monday, October 24, 2011

Good-bye Baby Jonah



Today we said our final good-byes to Baby Jonah. The day dawned gray and overcast - reflective of our mood. But the sun peeked through and gave us just enough light to feel good about the day. The church building was awash with flowers, photos, and food. And friends and family too. The turnout was inspiring - to know that such a small boy, who only stayed for a few days, could touch so many hearts was indeed balm to our sorrowing hearts. Harry was especially touched that so many from his police department came to pay their respects. They were also touched when the nurses from Methodist arrived. These women told me how much they appreciated Dawn and Harry's willingness to share Jonah with them.

Brooke and Amy especially took charge of displays in the foyers and arranging all the lovely flowers that had arrived. They included Ella's quilt and the quilt from the Linus project.The little lamb will be a stand in for Jonah when we take group photos of the grandchildren. And the sweet romper outfit was made by Sue Cornwall. I crocheted the little hat almost as an afterthought. Since he wore it a few times, I'm certainly glad I did! He was wrapped in the afghan I crocheted for him, and I am happy when I think that my love literally surrounded him on his final journey.


The Young Women leaders and girls made this beautiful quilt. It will be a treasure throughout the coming years.


We spent yesterday going through some of the many photos Harry has taken and put them together in frames and collages. It was a labor of love.


When I peeked into the chapel to take photos of the flowers, Ara and her mom were getting in some last-minute practicing. They both did a lovely job and added a special touch to the service. A big thank you to Roseann and Sue for the music - conducting and playing the organ.


Paula and Rebecca sent the plant and the stone which says "In our arms for only a short time. In our hearts forever."


The Relief Society did their usual wonderful job on the luncheon.


Mom, Donna, and Mary as we gathered for the family visitation before the service.


Harry and Dawn greeted friends and family. The flow of guests was steady - a tribute to the love many have for Harry and Dawn and our family.


I kept a lot of extra programs and will try to send them off to those who would like one - they were lovely - a tribute to Harry and Dawn's thoughtful attention to every detail.


Bill and Helen greeting each other.


Jim McKendrick made the lovely walnut casket - it was so tiny - the paintings of the Savior were gifts from Dawn's brother and nephew.


Jim also made the wagon. Harry placed the casket in the wagon, and Isla rode in it too. Eve pulled it into the chapel and Harry and Porter walked behind it. Harry and Dawn followed as they came into the chapel down the south aisle. When the service was over, they went up the north aisle to go out. Someone commented, "I could keep the tears at bay until I saw the wagon!" It was a sweet procession.


Dawn - doing what she does so well - fixing Eve's hair!


It was wonderful to see Erika and Scott, who made special trips to be here. Lest you think that your presence at a funeral goes unnoticed, I am here to say that it is noticed!! And appreciated.

The service itself was beautiful. The opening song featured the Terrill family anthem, "Because I Have Been Given Much," Pres. Cornwall spoke on the plan of happiness. The Primary children sang "I Am A Child of God" and Ara played a flute descant. They also sang "I Feel My Savior's Love." It was sweet when little Scarlett Ciesla ran up to the stand to join in. Harry spoke about the lessons that Jonah had taught their family. We hope to have a transcript of his remarks soon. A trio of Dawn's friends sang the Dixie Chicks song "Lullaby" and it was beautiful. Then Bishop Stevenson gave remarks, and the closing song was "Families Can Be Together Forever." The opening and closing prayers were given by Dawn's older brother Joe and her nephew Travis.


At the graveside, Harry dedicated the grave. His voice was strong and clear - the Lord truly sustained all of us today - and we are so grateful for that tender mercy.


There were also white doves - the children were allowed to release them - they flew off, circled, and then headed to their home in Hacienda Heights. It was a nice touch - and the children loved it.


Harry, Dawn and their children acquitted themselves so well today - Dad and I are so proud of their enduring faith and demeanor - they are a credit to us all. Jonah would have approved, I am sure.


One of the the special nurses from Methodist Hospital.


Heading off to Live Oak.


We were so pleased that Anne and Wayne were in town and were able to attend. Cheryl, Gilbert's daughter, also came.


Marjorie, her sister Annette, and Annette's daughter Katie. So good to see them again.

Rebecca, Marina, and Paula - neighbors and friends - what good neighbors they have been and continue to be.


Heather, Bruce, Bonny, and Frances.


Donna, Isla, Ara, Annika, Ella - I don't think I got all of the children who were present - they were pretty much running around by the time we got back to the church!


Did manage a family shot of Bonny and Bruce's family - and Ember scooted in too!


Harry and Scott - a formidable duo!!


I feel bad that the only shots of Greg and Noah are these - they were busy helping pretty much the whole time!! We were glad to have them there with us!


And I did remember to include myself - here with Miss Isla - who did a great job today - as a not-quite-two-year-old, these last couple of weeks have been a bit of a mystery to her - and she is doing a great job of adapting!! She sat with me at the funeral through most of Pres. Cornwall's talk. Then I took her to the nursery. I went for her again during the closing song, so she could ride in the wagon as we left the chapel. She gets the prize today, in addition to all the Tic Tacs I plied her with!!

I'm sure it will be a while before I sort through the various feelings and emotions that have taken over my life these last weeks. This experience is so new to me - one I didn't think I was prepared for. But I have just gone day to day - sometimes hour to hour even - and the Lord has blessed and sustained me. I have blogged, written in my journal, talked to anyone who would listen - but it's still not quite settled in my mind. Maybe it never will be. I will never be the same person again - what I want to be is the person who can be there to greet Jonah when we are once again reunited!

-Barbara

No comments:

Post a Comment